Followers

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Navigating food land mines.

Our oldest son celebrated his 24th birthday this past week.  All their lives our children have been able to choose what foods with which to celebrate their birthday.  Doesn't matter how old they get, as long as they are still home, the rule still applies.  I don't have many of these birthdays left before they start getting their own place.  So the rule is firmly in place...for now.  For his birthday, he chose pizza (of course), Homemade chocolate chip cookie cake with frosting (Like you get at great american cookie), and chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.  Yea, don't judge.  It only happens rarely.  When Dh heard his choices he simply stated "It starts".  What he is referring to is the three month span we have each year where all the kids have birthdays, plus he has a birthday.  This is the same three month span that includes Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and all the subsequent parties involved.  I know we aren't the only ones who have to deal with these mind fields this time of year.  So I thought this would be a good time to address the elephant in the room.


(Sigh).  That above picture is pecan pie cheese cake.  I mean really.  How cruel can people be!!!!  Two things I love combined!  Anyhoo.


Some things to help you during this time of year.

OPTION #1)  Plan on trying at least something.  You know you will anyway, and by giving yourself permission, you take away it's power and your guilt.  Leave room in your calorie level to try a bite or two of something.  Notice I said bite.  No,  you can't fill a dinner plate with everything your eyes devoured.  Do a walk through first, not eating or touching anything, but just getting an idea of what's there.  Go back to the back of the line or better yet, your seat.  Think about what you saw up there.  There will be a few items calling your name.  You know what they are.  Get a SAUCER or small bowl.  Try A BITE of the things you want THE MOST.  This is a one time trip to the buffet table for desserts.  Just like you can nickle and dime your self to financial ruin, you can taste and nibble yourself back your original weight.

Option #2 )  Give yourself the day off.  Try and do as little damage as possible, but enjoy the party in anyway you like.  With this knowledge.  YOU WILL BE BACK ON TRACK BY NEXT MEAL.  Notice I didn't say next day.  I said next meal.  My family has their parties in the afternoon.  My next meal (If I have one) would be dinner.  That means my choices for dinner will be on track.  More than likely something healthy ( veggie and lean protein heavy) to apologize to my poor digestive system.  You never want to look at these things as a personal failure and give up.  One party will not totally derail you.  It may set you back a little, but not anything you can't handle.

 If you're facing a season full of parties, food gifts, etc.  Try the first option and then stay away from the temptation.  If you can't keep from temptation( or you choose not to), you can assume you will gain about 1-5 pounds from Oct to Jan 1st.  I'm not saying this to discourage you.  I'm saying this to give you the worst case scenario.  Which isn't the end of the world!  With a three month vacation, this is what you're looking at repairing.  Face it and move on.  You say "Okay, need to get back to getting the weight off again".  I had to last year, and I did.

BTW, it's much easier to withstand the temptations of high sugar items if you don't have any artificial sweeteners in your system.

Also, try and get a workout in the day of the party.  It will help mitigate the damage and it will also help you steer clear because you don't want to reduce all your hard work to nil.

So what did I do when faced with all that junk food for my sons bday?  Option #..........2.  Yep!  Enjoyed the fun and back on track now.  I have a weigh in on Monday and whatever it says, it says and I will move on from there.

So what tips and tricks do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment