Followers

Sunday, January 31, 2021

My Love affair with silicone baking mats!

 Hello!  How is everything!  Take a load off and sit a spell.  That's what I'm doing.  I've been baking again and am down to the last cookie sheet going in the oven.  That means I get to sit!  

Tonight I cleaned out the fridge and as a result made some odds and ends to either use something up, or fill something in.  I had about 3 oz of cream cheese to use up, so I made cream cheese brownies.  YUM!  I also have mint jelly and hot pepper jelly in the fridge.  My son likes them on crackers so I needed to make crackers so those items get used.  So the last sheet of crackers has gone into the oven.  Tomorrow will be bread and mayo.

While baking these crackers, I marveled again how easy it is because of my silicone baking mats.  These are the modern marvels of the age!  

1)  They keep my cookie sheets from getting too hot and thus burning my cookies, granola, or crackers.  

2)  They are non stick!  In addition you can skip the step of greasing a cookie sheet.

3)  When the cookies, crackers are done, I can slide the baking mat off the cookie sheet with the baked item on it and then slide the next one on.  

4)  I can roll out my cookies/crackers on the mat, directly on the counter, then transfer easily to the cookie sheet by picking up the whole thing and transferring it to the cookie sheet.  

5)  They are easy to clean, and since they are floppy and such, they are easy to store.  



I've tried wax paper, floured surfaces, etc.  Wax paper moves around too much, and it doesn't matter how much flour I use, it still sticks.  Floured surfaces are fine for kneading, but rolling out very thin crackers really needs something different.  Enter silicone baking mats.  

They really don't cost too much.  You can usually get 2 for about $10.  Since they're reusable, they pay for themselves in no time.  Much cheaper than continued use of wax paper.  You can also get them in whatever size you need to fit your baking sheet.

These things are awesome.  I just thought I wanted to share.  

No comments:

Post a Comment