Followers

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Yeah, no more chicken broth in my potato soup

 Gooood Morning!

I have another post I'm working on, but it's not ready yet.  However, I wanted to throw this one in here cause it's a recipe.  Good recipe.  

I love soups in winter.  Who doesn't.  I like potato soup, but all of the recipes I've found had chicken broth or bouillon in it.  Makes it kinda...eh.  My family is also kinda eh when it came to my potato soup.  

So yesterday I made my own and it turned out WONDERFUL!  My youngest son went back for seconds!  Sure sign of success!  I wanted to share my new recipe with you, dear readers.  Plus it helps me have it recorded somewhere.  

So here tis:


Bacon and Cheddar potato soup

6-8 slices of bacon

6 cups chunked raw potatoes

1 large onion chopped

4 cups water

1 cup celery

1 can evaporated milk (or you can use the equivalent in whole milk)

1-1.5 cups cheddar cheese

1.5-2 tsp salt to taste

Pepper to taste

Fry your bacon up in a pan.  Remove the bacon from the pan, but leave the drippings.  If you're leery about the amount of bacon fat in the pan, you can pour some off, but keep at least 4 TBS.  Add the chopped onion and celery to the drippings in the pan.  Cook until soft.  While that's cooking the bacon should have cooled.  Crumble it up til it looks like bacon bits.  Once the onion/celery mixture is soft, add the water.  Get a spatula and stir, scraping the pan to get all the bits from the drippings.  Add your potatoes.  If you need to add a little water, you can, just to cover.  Add salt.  The lesser amount first.  You can adjust the seasons to taste once everything is together and simmering.  Let the potatoes and everything cook until the potatoes are soft.  Run it all thru a blender.  I added my milk in the blender to help it blend well.  It took two blenders full.  Return all to the pan and add whatever milk you have left.  If it is still thick, you can add water til it is the consistency you want.  Add the cheese and stir.  Keep an eye on it as it simmers to make sure it doesn't stick.  Now is the time to adjust the seasonings.  Taste it and add what you want.  We topped with sour cream and had with toast.  I know,  CARBS!  But it was filling and good.  

Variations:  You can add hot sauce as a topping.  This would have been my choice, but I was out.  I did opt to not have sour cream on mine.  Also, top with chives, red pepper flakes, or whatever else strikes your fancy.  

Okay, can't let you go with out adding my latest redo!

I just listed her in my shop.  UPDATED:  SHE SOLD!  YAY!


Here is the link if anyone is interested : 1960's Horseman doll  

No comments:

Post a Comment