Followers

Monday, February 17, 2020

Odds and Ends

It didn't rain today!  That is amazing.  My back yard, however, is like a wet sponge.  (Sigh) and it's supposed to rain tomorrow.  According to the meteorologist, this is a pattern we will have for the next 3 weeks.  UGH!

Oh well.  Either way, I had to take the opportunity available to get outside and get some long over due work done.

My main thing was to get the rooster Run cleaned out and ready to house the Bantum hens (and rooster).

We bought a chicken house.run that's supposed to house 3-4 birds.  (Eye roll) it barely houses the 4 Bantums.  So the Rooster run has been readied now and the little darlings are on board.  Moving them was fun.  One got out.  Note to self:  Bantum chickens are harder to catch...BECAUSE THEY FLY!  This hen took off and flew half way across the garden!  But, I was patient and just kept herding her to where I needed her, and eventually I won.  Neener, neener.



 Contrary to the phrase "chasing chickens", ones doesn't actually chase the chicken.  That is highly discouraged.  You will tire yourself out.  The best thing to do is walk slowly, and purposefully; heading off any avenue of escape until you have them cornered.  Then you catch whatever part of the chicken is handy.  So eventually I got her in.  Another of the hens, and she is a full size hen hatched by the tiny Bantum mama, literally started screaming when I caught her.  Interesting sound.  But she calmed down as soon as she realized she was just moving.  So all in all they all got moved and are happily ensconced in their new digs.

Also on the chicken front, we're getting about 4 1/2 dz eggs a week now.  So I'm starting to sell some to offset the cost of feed.  I sold 2 dz today for $6, and plan to sell another 2 dz tomorrow.  I'll do that every week or two.  As we get more, I'll be able to sell more.  That's a nice little benefit. But don't worry, we will still have plenty of eggs for us. 

After all that fun, it was a just matter of repairing the hoop house cover, and cutting the grass.  Yep! We've had mild enough temps to where the grass is growing.  Well the weeds are growing.  It was getting bad.  I'd put pre-emergent on if it wasn't for the fact we'd have no lawn.  lol.  Cutting the grass was interesting on the low end of our property.  It is a mucky yucky mess.  Had to drive very slow to keep from getting stuck.  But I really didn't have a choice.  It needed to be done.

So all that and throw in some kitchen cleaning, floor sweeping, bed making, and doll clothes sewing, and all in all a productive day.  My house is a mess.  The yard needs still more work, but I put in a full day.

That's the important thing.

"You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be happy, and it shall be well with you"  Psalms 128:2




2 comments:

  1. I was pleasantly surprised to see posts again! Take care of yourself and don't push yourself too hard -- slow and steady. My husband had a heart attack and 4 vessel surgery in May 2017. It took him a year and a half before he felt "normal" again. Biking helped him a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm sorry it took me so long to approve your comment. I wan't alerted that there was one! Usually I get an email. Ah technology!

    ReplyDelete