Followers

Friday, February 7, 2020

Finally!

Whew!  It has been a long month in regards to our food budget.  The joys of having 3 paychecks in a month is tempered by having to stretch what grocery money you had into 5 weeks instead of 4.  That can get a little tricky.

In addition, I made the mistake many make, I think, after the holidays.  We wanted to get back to eating healthy.  I wanted to encourage everyone in our household to do the same.  While not buying diet food, I did purchase a lot of things I don't normally buy.  My son likes salmon, and wanted to have that on hand for meals so he could stay on track.  I agreed to buy him 1 weeks worth of salmon and asparagus (ours isn't up yet), but he had to take over the rest if he was to stay on it.  I bought protein bars, thinking this would keep me from having to bake cookies.  Both sons enjoy these.  Yes, it did make it where I didn't have to bake cookies, but was way more expensive than if I had just baked cookies, and I question if it was the healthier alternative to home made 100% fresh ground wheat cookies.  So I read the label....yea... I think the cookies would be the better alternative all round.  I bought other things as well.  These are just a few examples.

This was also a time where things needed replenishing.  Some things that I buy in bulk, only have to be purchased every few months or so.  In addition, there were things I had stocked up on in the past that were allowed run out, hoping I would see the items on sale for restocking; sugar was one of those.  I never saw sugar go on a good enough sale.  It went on sale once during the holidays, but it was a limit of 5 4 lb bags of sugar.  That lasts us about a month or so.  Not enough to really replenish anything.

For all of these reasons, January was a tight month when it came to the food budget.  The benefits of this are:

 A)  I have really used up items in the freezer and pantry.  The past couple of weeks, maybe longer, have seen my menu planning based on little bits of things in the pantry, fridge and freezer.  Many times it's re-purposing left overs. 

B) It has pushed me back into what I know and that it scratch baking on a grand scale.  All our breads, cookies, breakfasts items, etc have all been made from scratch.  We haven't been starving, but everything I had to eat, had to be combined to make what I needed.  There wasn't much of  "I'll just grab something".  At least there wasn't until I made it.  This even went so far as making the dog treats.  I have to say I had gotten comfortable buying these in bulk at the warehouse store, but ran out a few weeks ago.  I've decided to keep that going.  It's better for them, and it isn't too had to make these.  If you would like the recipe, it's on my "Pet Care" page.

C)  It really cleans out the pantry, fridge, and freezer!  Makes it really easy to defrost the freezer, organize the pantry, and wipe out the fridge.

So today is the day I finally get groceries!  It's still tight, but that's okay.  I have new resolve to keep doing what I'm doing.  I should have been doing this all along.  But, you know, even a Frugal maven can have an off day (er week, ah month).

So in preparation of today being grocery day; yesterday was spent, primarily, in the kitchen.  I made English muffins, bagels, sandwich bread, hamburger buns, dog treats, coffee creamer, and chocolate syrup.  Granola and cookies will come this afternoon.  I'm out of oats.  I get them today.

Can I just add here, all this scratch baking doesn't take long.  It isn't too hard.  If I can learn to do it, and do it, so can you!  Yes, I was in and out of the kitchen yesterday, but it isn't where I stayed.  The time spent making bread items, is mainly in waiting for it to rise.  It takes about 15 minutes to mix and knead bread dough.  The rest of the time is spent waiting.

I fell into the trap of wanting things convenient.  Yes, buying something pre-made is easier, and if you have little time, then that's what you need to do.  But if you can, then try it.  Start small, make a few things that aren't too taxing.

"A penny saved is a penny earned".  Just remember Uncle Sam hasn't yet figured out a way to tax money you save, but he does know how to tax money you earn.



No comments:

Post a Comment