Followers

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Our Terrific, Frugal, Very Good, Never Bad day (recipe enclosed)

Hello!


How's everyone?  We're doing good here.  No rain today so that's great!

Hubby has no where to be.  He is normally off on some wrestling venture as a mean ole manager, a ring announcer, or a Friend in low places.  Today , and this weekend, he is home.  Yay!

We decided to enjoy the day together.  Now at our age, that means we went to run errands.  We picked up Chicken feed, bird seed, and potting soil (needing to start my tomato plants).  I needed some zip ties for a doll I'm repairing.  For fun we bought a new bird feeder for the front deck, and a hummingbird feeder for the back.

My hubby is a big spender let me tell you.  Nothing is too good for the little wife!  We had a gift card for use at Racetrac; where we each got a cup of freshly ground coffee.  We had lunch at Subway.  Lol.  We like Subway.  It keeps us from straying too far off the healthy eating plan.

After lunch it was off to Goodwill to see what we couldn't live without.  The first Good will was a bust, but the second one was a charm.  We found

A full box of hanging file folders-  I've been needing to buy some more, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  To get the box new would have cost us $10.  We got them for $3.  New box.  It had been opened, but still had the full amount in it.

7 heavy identical glass drinking glasses. 7 was a good number because we had a matching glass at home.  It's partners had long since met a drastic fate.  Now it has a new family to call it's own, and we have a setting for 8.  Yay!

A Blue Ray of the movie "Australia".  Hubby was on a mission it seemed.  I used to have this movie, but it was accidentally left in a DVD player we donated.  Hubby was determined to find this movie again.  He was very proud, and I was very happy.  Guess what we're watching tonight?

So then we headed home.  The plan for dinner was turkey burgers with oven fries.  That is until I got home and remembered I was out of ketchup.  Ooops.  We were home by then and there was no going out again.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.  Right?

Yall I made Ketchup!



(Here comes the recipe)

Ketchup

1 can tomato paste
1/3 cup distilled vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
Good dash cinnamon
Good dash paprika
1/3 tsp ground allspice
Good pinch of ground mustard
Good pinch of celery seed
1/2 tsp onion powder

Whisk all in sauce pan and simmer about 5 minutes.  That's it.  I put the homemade ketchup in an existing ketchup bottle and no one is the wiser.  It's good.  Seriously.  Never buying ketchup again.  that one little can with vinegar, spices, and water made about 18 oz of ketchup.  The cheapest ketchup I can find that has no high fructose corn syrup in it is about $2 for 16 oz, and that's not even organic!  Mine cost me about .40 cents. I'd say win win!

Now what else can I make!  What kind of convenience foods do you make in your homestead?


No comments:

Post a Comment