Followers

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Rethinking how I do things

Hello Everyone!

We're hunkered down here in the homestead; just like everyone else I suppose.  We're living thru a historical moment with this Covid-19 virus.  In all honesty, it still feels surreal to me.  Surreal , but serious.  Please, please please, take this serious.  This is not the flu.  This is way different.

My family doesn't leave the house except to go to work.  I have three men in this house still working.  I'm very thankful for that, but nervous a well.  When they get home from work it is in the shower for them and in the laundry for their clothes.  Because they're working and coming home, I'm reluctant to go anywhere or have anyone come by; for others protection as well as our own.

I say that, but old habits die hard.  My first thought is "oh I'll just run down to (fill in the blank)".  Grocery stores, Walmart, Lowes, all these places are still open.  We can go thru a drive thru for dinner as well.  But here is what I'm learning, and believing.  Just because someplace is open, doesn't mean I have to go there.  *** And can I say, if you do have to go there, please don't wait in long lines for the store to open.  Go somewhere that's already open, or wait til your favorite store is open.  If you're standing in line with 10 other people, then you're in a gathering greater than 10!  You're at risk!***

Now don't get me wrong.  I'm trying to do my part to help the small businesses in my area, but I have to do so in a way that protects them and my family.  For that reason I'm re-thinking how I do things.

For example:

This is the time of year we put in our garden.  I've planted seeds and they're doing very well.  But there were things I needed; mulch for the walkways between raised beds, pine straw for on the beds, and I also needed potting soil.  I didn't want to go into a store.  Plus I wanted to shop locally.  I tried a local hardware store that has a well known name, but is independently owned, and was told they aren't doing deliveries.  Okay.  Then I'll look elsewhere, and I did.  I ended up ordering from a small family owned feed and seed store near by.  Their prices were much better anyway, and he delivered what I ordered to my house.  I was able to stay far away from him as he unloaded everything I purchased.  I supported a small local business, and was able to get what I needed and stay on track with the garden.

Another item that needed our attention was the housing for our small bantam chickens.  With the arrival of spring their egg laying has increased.  Problem was they were in the Rooster run and it was never designed for hens.  It needed to be re-designed so we had access to the eggs.  My first thought was I would just have to run to Lowes and grab some stuff.  But then I stopped myself and asked myself did I have items here I could use, and not make the trip to town.  Well, we did.  Now granted, when you make do on something, you don't have plans or measurements to follow....ehh it can kinda look like the villains lair in the old Batman series, but, hey, it's functional, and it will do until we can make a trip to town.  Point is.  We thought things thru and ended up not going.

As for provisions,  I was fortunate that I had already done the monthly grocery shopping the Friday before things went south( no I did not buy toilet paper.  We already had some).  So we are pretty well set.  Plus I keep a pantry.  It wasn't my normal pantry as I had kinda slacked off in recent months, but we're okay for a bit.  I've been tempted to go to the store to pick up a few things, but have decided against it.  This has forced me to really push myself into A) using anything and everything I have in my pantry/freezer, and B) Learning what all I can make on my own.  As it stands now, I will never by Mayonnaise, ketchup/ BBQ sauce, flour tortillas, or peanut butter granola bars at the store.  I already don't buy Bread, English Muffins, Bagels, Dog treats, choc syrup, jams/jellies, Season Salt, Taco Seasoning, Granola/Cereal.  It's become a challenge to me now to see how far I can make this stuff go.  Technically I get more grocery money in 2 weeks when Hubby gets paid, but there is no guarantee I'll be able to shop like I normally do; by the month and stock up when an item is on sale. We have a local farmers market that has ingeniously adapted to where you can call them ahead of time and give them your order.  You let them know when you'll be by, and they will bring your order out to your car; wearing gloves and the whole bit.  They're a mile from my house.  Since they're a farmers market, I'll utilize them when I need some fresh items.

The garden is starting to produce a little spinach and lettuce.




Plus the hens are really laying now.  We're getting 8-10 eggs a day.  And I just found out you can FREEZE raw eggs!  How awesome is that!  This is one of those times where gardening and raising chickens is more than a hobby.  It's also one of those times where I say to myself I will do this as long as I can.

More than likely you are cooped up like we are.  I have a friend who took this time to learn to make her first bread.  It turned out beautifully.  Don't you think?


Now is a good time to do all the things you've been meaning to at home but just didn't have the time. Sure it's not a vacation you would choose, but now that you have it, make the most of it.  You never know what you can accomplish!  See what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment