Followers

Thursday, October 11, 2018

A Tale of two Doctors

The day I went to the ER with my heart attack, I was asked if I had a cardiologist.  I requested a certain cardiology group.  This group had performed a stress test on me years before and I knew that was who I wanted.  Due to my past employment, I knew many of the cardiologist in both groups, mostly by phone or reputation.  Things went well as I began my stay in the observation unit.  The cardiologist I requested was the one who read my heart echo.  So far so good right?  But some how, between the reading of my echo and my being told I had officially had a heart attack; I was switched to the other much larger group.  Hmmmm.  I won't go into that one.  I will just say, always stand your ground with the doctor you want.  Just FYI.

I was told of the "mix up" prior to my heart cath.  I thought it was right prior to my cath (my cath ended up being later in the day).  At the time, I had no idea the group I requested had been the one that read my echo.  Had I known that I would have made them switch me back to the group I requested.  As it was, I thought the group I was assigned to had read the echo, and not wanting to have someone come in last minute and put a tube in my heart I opted to stay where I was for the cath.  The group I was assigned to had very nice nurses and nurse practitioners.  I met many of them.  I actually met the cardiologist for my cath as I was getting ready to go in.  He did give us an idea of what to expect. The Cath team was wonderful; nice, and fun actually.  The doctor was very competent.  I was awake during the procedure (I know sounds weird, but wasn't.  I felt nothing).  I don't remember the cardiologist addressing me during the procedure, except at the end when he said I had a clean cath, and my heart attack must be stress related.  This was spoken over his shoulder as he turned away to prepare for the next case.

*** According to the American Heart Association, stress will not cause a heart attack, but can make you engage in things that can lead to a heart attack; over eating, smoking, excessive drinking, etc.***

That night I was given my first cholesterol pill.  Because my cholesterol was good and I had a clean cath, I asked the nurse why, she couldn't answer.  The next day I was to be discharged, and met another cardiologist, who came in during rounds.  He told me I was being prescribed a cholesterol drug to take daily.  I also asked him why.  His response was pretty much just take it for three months.  Okay.  Why.  "We would like you to take it for three months.  You can ask your endocrinologist".  Really no other explanation.

I won't go into the whole saga again, but, needless to day, I've spent the past 6 and a half weeks trying to get answers for; Did I really have a heart attack.  How did my attack happen?  Why am I on this med?  Should I take this new med prescribed when I haven't even spoken to the cardiologist?  Can I recover from the heart attack or is this my life from now on.  Will it happen again?  Etc.  My follow up to my cath was with a nurse practitioner, who said to me " with a lot of patients we know, but you are in that gray area". They don't know why I had my heart attack.  Okay.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with nurse practitioners, but when you're following up after a procedure, it's nice to see the doctor that did the procedure.  I saw a nurse for my stress test as well.  In previous stress tests a cardiologist was present, but that was when I was being seen by the other group (the one I originally wanted).  In fact I haven't seen a cardiologist, or spoken to one since I was discharged from the hospital.

I didn't know how all of this was affecting me until I went ahead and made the switch back to the original group I requested.  Once I had wrapped up with the group to which I was initially assigned, I made an appointment with the group I wanted.  Specifically the Dr who read my initial heart echo.  I found out later who had read my echo.   I always knew I would switch back to my requested group.  I didn't realize how much would be resolved when I did.  I was blessed in that there was a cancellation for first thing yesterday morning.  So I got in quick.

* Met with the cardiologist; female cardiologist.  Being female, this works for me.
* She spent an HOUR with me
* Using models, diagrams (that she drew)etc.  She explained everything to me.  BTW, She believes my heart attack was caused by one of my arteries constricting.  Something more common in women as is a heart attack with a clean cath.
* She also explained WHY she wanted me on two medications; one to lower cholesterol ( there may be build up in the smaller vessels that feed my actual heart)and one to strengthen my arteries (keep them from constricting).
* She worked with me to get me on the lowest dose of these meds to alleviate side affects, but for them to still be effective.
* She reassured me about the meds.
* She also reassured me that this wasn't forever.  In fact she said this might have been something residual from my days of NOT eating healthy and being active.  As I continue in this healthier lifestyle, the need for meds and/or concern may disappear!
* I have a friend who recently had a heart attack and this Dr was her cardiologist.  She told me yesterday that during her cath procedure, this doctor spoke to her the whole time, explaining everything as she went.

That one visit with this cardiologist, changed everything.  Fear dissipated, and hope lifted up it's
head.



 I don't fault the previous Doctor.  He did a good job.  His bed side manner leaves a lot to be desired, but I really think that all can be laid at the feet of their practice just being too big.  You can't turn a big ship on a dime.  There comes a time when you're too cumbersome.  There's no way to give each patient the time they need when you have multiple patients needing that time.  Just no way.  There needs to be a good mixture of competence and bedside manner.  A practice large enough to be successful, but small enough to take the time needed for a patient, any patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment