Followers

Sunday, October 3, 2021

All the best laid plans....

 Ya know there are always exceptions to every rule.  Who else believes 2021 is an exception to a lot of rules?  Apparently it is on multiple levels.  

So all the things I've written before on knowing your sales and season doesn't apply under the current..uh adminis...uh circumstance.  Ahem.  What I've written about before regarding sales and seasons to get the best deals on your groceries, hinges on

1) A workforce staffed to insure a decent supply line

2)  Ships able to deliver their goods to the US

3)) Inflation less than 5%.  Less than 2 or 3 % would be best. 

If you're in charge of the grocery shopping, I know you've noticed how prices are rising.  At least I hope you've noticed.  I can't fathom not knowing the price of what is bought.  That's just foreign to me.   Anyway.  I know I've noticed.  YIKES!  

This morning I went to add something to my "cart" on Sam's website.  I had a bag of onions in my cart to purchase at the end of the week.  It was for a 10 pound bag.  The price was 4.68 yesterday.  It was 7.98 today!  Almost double in price!  I looked at other stores to see if I could find a cheaper price.  I couldn't until I called a local produce store near me.  I had to buy a 50lb bag to get the same price I would have gotten buying the 10 lb. bag of onions.  I had to buy the 50 lbs though.  But!  I got it and got a decent price on it.  

While talking to the owner of the store, I heard how hard a time he's having staffing his store, and stocking his store.  He told me this time of year he usually has stacks of applications, but this year he has had not a one.  I told him how I had planned to wait until the holiday shopping season to stock up on other grocery items.  He said the price more than likely won't go down because stores will be afraid to sell out of items.  So I may be looking at catching what I can when I can.  

1)  I will be assuming "rain checks" aren't in effect anymore.  That means I get to a sale in the beginning and not wait til the end.

2)  I will be rethinking a lot of items which have now become splurges.

3)  Growing food is not optional

4)  Raising chickens is not optional

5)  If I can make it, I make it, no exception

6)  EVERYTHING gets used in some way.  

7)  Courtesy always; leave some for others when finding a good deal.

8)  I'm thinking already of getting any items I may need for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  That's not just food items, but Christmas shopping.  Even our Fearless VP has said to do your Christmas shopping now.  That's pretty bad when even they aren't trying to hide it.   

I wrote this post about 9 years ago.  Check it out to read some tips and tricks for money saving.  I'll be adding more!

25 frugal tips

No comments:

Post a Comment