Followers

Friday, September 8, 2023

Beef Tallow

 



Putting up beef tallow this morning. Once cooled, this will be solid and white. This is very easy to do. Kroger had beef brisket on sale last week for $1.99 a pound. I bought two. I trimmed off as much of the fat as possible. I chopped it up and added it to my crock pot, with nothing else. Added the lid to the top, but tipped it a little to the side. Then I allowed it to cook, on high, for quite a few hours.  As this cooks the fat will liquify, and what's left will sink to the bottom.  This cooks until it's no longer bubbling. It will go from looking like it's boiling to a smooth surface with seeming no activity. At that point, the liquid is ladled through a strainer into warm jars. Wipe the rims with a clean cloth dipped in a little white vinegar. Add your clean lid and ring and let cool on the counter. As it cools it will seal. This fat is now clarified, and shelf stable. This fat would normally be thrown away as waste. Instead I get the benefit of the beef $1.99 a pound, as well as a cooking fat for $1.99 a pound. I also ended up with one quart of beef broth. Very little was wasted. What was left after rendering the tallow went to my dog as a treat over the next few days. This is getting the most out of everything I buy at the store. Waste as little as possible. I do not fry food. This will last us a long time. It makes great oven fries.  This can be used anywhere you'd use lard or another fat for high heat cooking.  

Also:  You can use any type of beef with separable fat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment