Followers

Friday, August 25, 2023

Rebel Canning


Rebel Canning!  Okay, let me preface this by saying the USDA would probably frown on using unauthorized jars and lids as well as the lids being REUSED.  SO!  Should you decide to be a rebel, think long and hard.  

Now!  That being said;

Lately, I've been buying 100 percent organic lemon juice in 32 oz glass bottles.  I'm a bottle freak.  I love glass bottles.  I hate to throw them out.  I know they can be "recycled", but I've seen way to many exposes showing all the recycling we do ends up in the landfill with all the other trash.  I'd rather find a use for them.  

Now in order for these to qualify for canning use; they have to be the right size( 32 or 16 Oz), glass, have a metal lid with a rubber lining that can seal, and that lid has a little button in the center that will pop down when the jar is sealed( you canning folks will know what I'm talking about).  These jars met all criteria.  In fact I was very pleased with the thickness of the rubber lining.  

Now I would only do this with high acid foods that can be waterbath canned. There is no way to know if these bottles would hold up to pressure canning anyway.  These jars were intended for juice, so juice is what I used them for.   I followed all other instructions offered by Ball canning for canning tomato juice.  


And Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment