Followers

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Introducing....my tiller! Plus Spring on the Homestead!

 My Dad once told me that the more moving parts something has the greater chance of it breaking.  Those wise words have helped me a lot over the years.  It goes without saying, then, that one of the most reliable tool in my tool chest is the one with the fewest moving parts. With that being said, may I introduce my tiller! 


 One moving part; two if you you count my arms.

We haven't had an actual rototiller for quite a few years now.  We sold it when we realized how it had sat unused for a few seasons,  Poor thing needed a new home where it could be truly appreciated.  It wasn't that I didn't love my tiller.  It had served us well, but once I'd moved to raised beds, there wasn't a need for it anymore.  It was hard to get the tiller  in and out of the beds anyway.  As a result, I'd just gotten used to using a shovel and cultivator.  Even last year when we expanded the garden to include the side yard, which isn't done in raised beds; I still prepared and planted the entire area with just my shovel and cultivator.  It took a few weeks of work, but I did it.  In addition, I plan to expand the garden further this year.  Who needs lawn right?

To be honest, I've really not missed having a tiller.  There are times I think I might want to borrow a tiller to do a large area, but then I decide to just start working on it and see how far I get.  It never fails.  I end up getting what I needed accomplished, and without all the fuss of a tiller. 

 Another plus in this day and age is no gas used.  Now that I can take to the bank!

You guys can chime in to let me know if you're the same way, but I hate( I'm using the word hate here) getting on a treadmill or other piece of exercise equipment for a workout.  I'll do it if I have to, but my preference is to be outside digging up my garden, shoveling wood chips, or some other outdoor highly physical activity.  I have a sign in my garden that reads "Mom's gym".  That would be right.  So another benefit of my not using  tiller is negating the need for a gym membership!  I'll take that to the bank as well.  

Springs seems to be up and running (I hope)  still don't have my warm weather crops out.  I do have Onions, Broccoli, Kale, Lettuce, Snow peas, Dill, Spinach, and potatoes going strong.  The Strawberry, Blueberry,  and Blackberry plants are a buzzing.  I thought I'd share a few pics of how things are shaping up so far this year.  Over the past few weeks I've managed to catch a few shots, just for our own use(I thought), but thought I'd share them with you guys as well.  

BTW< Broody Mama managed to hatch out a few chicks.  We can't see them yet, they're still under her, but we're proud of her.  She did it!  Now onto pics!

I love our little farm!








I also wanted to share a little walk thru my tiny greenhouse.  It's crammed full of seedlings, so it's a mess, but I'm loving every bit of it!


So how are things in your neck of the woods?  Have you planted something?  Share!

No comments:

Post a Comment