Followers

Saturday, April 23, 2022

And then there were 8

 Sorry it's been a couple of weeks since last I posted.  Everyday has had something needing my attention.  It's that time of year!  I'm outside most day, weather permitting.  I'm thinking we're at the "time to plant warm weather crops" point.  That means an even crazier schedule.  Normally this wouldn't be as crazy, but you add in doctor visits for our son; it's a little nuts.  

I did want to update you guys on the broody mama.  She managed to hatch out 8 babies.  My apologies for the lighting.  I grabbed this pic just as my phone died!  


We aren't sure how many males and females there are; odds are it's half and half.  We do have another hen sitting on eggs.  She's sitting on 8 that we know of.  Those should hatch around the 30th.  If no other hen goes broody by June 4th, we'll incubate one last batch.  This plan was put in place a few weeks ago, before all the chicken and eggs shortages started.  I'm glad we put this in place.  Come fall we will cull 4 older hens and all but 2 roosters.  We were going to sell some of the hens, but we may keep them all and sell eggs.  Not sure yet.  

Been crazy busy.  Sorry for the short post, but will post more later.


No comments:

Post a Comment