Followers

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Come over to the dark side. We have cookies!

Hi!  Got a minute?  Have a seat.  Want coffee?  Go ahead.  I'll wait.....

So yea, Hello.  Nice to see you.  Can we talk?  Really talk?  I have to share something.  That's what this blog is about.  What I have to share isn't the latest diet program.  It isn't the latest fad, or the latest product on the market to force your body to go against its programming and allow you to drop pounds.

What I have to share is freedom.  Freedom from feeling like a failure.  Freedom from tasteless food.  Freedom from artificial "fisher price" food as my mom calls it. I used to be there.  Seriously.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page.  On the left you will see the "success" of what the world said I should do to lose weight.  On the right you will see the real success of lost weight when I started to do things in a way that works with my body.  It's not a special plan.  It's not a big secret except the powers that be keep saying I'm wrong.  You see that woman on the right made a decision about 18 months ago to never diet again.  If I lost weight it would have to be on my terms, eating real food, and it would need to fit my life and not the other way around.  You see I'd spent the vast majority of my then 48 years dieting and gaining weight.  I had reached the point where I never wanted to try again because each time I tried, I failed to keep it off and then beat myself up.  Every time.  I couldn't face that again, so I didn't try.  Finally I gave it one more shot, on my terms.  Funny thing is, "on my terms" went against everything the diet gurus said.  I don't eat sugar free/fat free anything unless God made it that way naturally.  I eat sugar!  I eat butter, full fat dairy, any type of meat I want (or can afford), Chocolate!!!!!  I have coffee with cream and sugar (bless it).  I eat out, I have snacks, cookies, etc.  I eat whatever I chose.  Here's the thing.  In moderation.  It really is calories in vs calories out.  It's portion control.  News flash guys.  No diet will be successful if you aren't learning portions.  You have to weigh and measure, I don't care what the diet companies say.  It's become such a habit now that it's second nature to me to measure what I eat and record it.  I use sparkpeople to record my food for the day.  It's a little labor intensive to get everything in initially, but once that's done, it's a breeze to use.  Lest you think I only eat junk, I should say I eat real food, just less of it.  I get 1200-1550 calories.  1200-1550 calories of real food is way more satisfying then the same calories in highly processed diet food.  I eat all of the things I listed above, but I also make sure to get plenty of fruits and veggies too.  Here's some examples :

Breakfast:

2 eggs cooked in 2-4 gms of butter
2 oz whole milk french vanilla yogurt
1 cup blueberries
Coffee with 2 TBS whole milk and 1 tsp sugar

Snacks (I have one in the mid morning, and one either mid afternoon or after dinner ((or both if I have the calories))

Medium apple/ 3/4 oz cheddar cheese or
Medium apple/ 1 tbs peanut butter
Strawberries with yogurt and chocolate syrup

Lunch

4 oz chicken breast
7 oz roasted carrots in a little olive oil

Dinner

Taco salad with taco meat (ground turkey or beef whatever is on sale), tortilla chips, salsa, cheddar cheese, sour cream, lettuce (or fresh spinach), and tomato.

Dessert

Smore
chocolate chip cookie

I don't get as much pleasure from eating bread products.  At least not enough to warrant the calories used.  I do eat bread, rice, pasta, etc, just when I'm in the mood and want to count the calories for it.  I had a small slice of homemade bread with a little butter on it this morning in fact.  Pick and choose your battles.  Eat what you enjoy the most, but make sure you get your veggies and fruits in first!  If you can't tell, I try and get a lot of protein each day.  That helps me stay satisfied longer.  If I have oatmeal, muffins, etc for breakfast, I'm starving in a couple of hours.  I do have those things, but very rarely.  Usually on the weekends when we eat breakfast later.

  It's about real foods, real activity, real success that is available to everyone.  You don't have to buy anything.  No supplement, no program.  Just life.  I'm hoping this can become a place where we all can share whats working or not working for us.  I'm tired of being thought of as less because I weigh more.  I was tired of feeling like I had no will power when in fact the problem was the food I was putting in my body.  I will share articles here as well as my own story.  I hope you tune in and feel free to add to what I'm saying.

As a parting remark, if you have Netflix, they have a documentary called "Hungry for change" that is very eye opening when it comes to the diet industry and weight loss.  Very Eye opening.  Funny thing is I started my weight loss journey before I ever saw this.  It just reinforces what I have discovered.  Thanks for reading.






No comments:

Post a Comment