Followers

Thursday, October 19, 2023

Time To Plan For Holiday Grocery Shopping



 Good morning!  Or Good "whenever you are reading this".  Down by two cats YAY!  Still have 7 left.  This week is kind of a odds and ends type week.  I'm trying to get things organized and accomplished.  I canned some dry pinto beans.  It's a nice convenience to just have to open a jar.  I also made some sweetened condensed milk for the holidays.    
I think I've undertaken a daunting project in that I'm attempting to restore a hand sewn quilt my grandmother made probably 75- 80 years ago.  I've washed it on the gentle cycle and am now waiting for it to line dry.  Having to do that inside as we have cats outside too and want to make sure nothing gets damaged further.  If anyone has some tips on how to go about this, please comment below.  I need all the help I can get.  The only thing I know is if I do nothing, the quilt will continue to disintegrate in my trunk.  See what I mean?

                                         

So that's the local chit chat on the homestead, but I have a much more exciting thing to talk about!  Holidays are coming!!!!  With that comes the best grocery staple sales hands down.  This would be the Super Bowl of the grocery shopping sale season.  Now don't get me wrong; there are good deals to be had through out the year, but this time of year you can get really good buys on things like flour, butter, turkey, ham, evaporated milk, nuts, chocolate, canned vegetables, cranberries, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, spices, extracts, and sugar to name a few.  Everything a growing pantry needs.  

Even Walmart and Aldi are announcing their holiday dinner plans!  Now they aren't really telling me anything I don't already know.  Every year grocery stores vie for our holiday dinner dollars.  Walmart and Aldi are just advertising what every store will be doing.  So don't just focus on Walmart and Aldi.  Scan those other ads for the deals too.  So, just in case you didn't read the article, it's Nov 1st -Dec 26th.  You will see some good staple item deals.  Stock Up!

Here's a tip.  You're deals are usually found on the first and last page of a store's ad.  These are called Loss leaders and they are that.  The store takes a loss on these things in order to draw you into the store and hopefully sell you other things maybe not as great a deal.  Your mission should you choose to accept it; is to shop these loss leaders and not get suckered into other things.  Now if you find a good unadvertised price on something in the store, we can talk, but know your prices going in.   

Now is the time to start laying a little extra aside.  If you can't lay a little extra aside, start cooking more from scratch and using less processed foods in order to have the extra dollars to stock up on these deals.  Go thru your pantry and make a wish list.  Go thru your grocery list and nix anything unnecessary; soda, junk food, processed foods.  Push comes to shove make the junk food!  Only if you make it; it's no longer junk food, but homemade goodness with no funny business.  Seriously, some of the junk food will also be on sale!  Buy it then!  

You're welcome!  😁

https://fox8.com/news/walmart-aldi-to-offer-thanksgiving-dinner-options-at-lower-prices/



No comments:

Post a Comment