Followers

Saturday, May 14, 2022

The Old Fashioned Baby formula (recipe)

(Sigh)  Part of me can't believe things are a crazy as they are, but then another part of me isn't too surprised.  

I haven't waxed political in a while.  I mean where to start!  There isn't time!  The hits keep coming from this administration, faster than I can write.  

While I think things through, I did want to share something to all of the parents, grandparents, caregivers out there who are going crazy trying to feed a baby.  What follows is a recipe for "Baby Formula" that my Mother, Aunts, and pretty much any baby on a bottle at the time was raised on.  Do with it what you will.

First I will say this formula isn't "fortified", so what mothers did then, and mothers can still do now, is buy the liquid baby vitamin drops at the store.  These are, thankfully, not in short supply.  You can either give these separately, or mix them in with the "Formula"

Now on to the recipe:

Baby Formula "The Old Fashioned Way"

1 12 Oz can of Evaporated WHOLE Milk

2 TBS Karo Syrup (the clear kind)-This helps with constipation in babies and adults for that matter.  This is NOT High Frustose Corn Syrup.

20 oz of distilled water; nursery water, filtered water, etc.  

Liquid Baby vitamins- to be used separately or mixed into the formula.

Mix it up and divide into 6 bottles or as many as you would use for 33-34 oz of formula.  

Now if your baby needs soy formula or some other special needs formula, this won't work.  Sorry.  An option could be Goat milk?  For a child with a special diet I would speak to your pediatrician.  He/She may have samples on hand to help, or can put you in contact with a resource for you.

DO NOT let the powers that be tell you that using cows milk is bad.  Many non-soy based formulas are cow milk based and so the transition shouldn't be too hard.

I freely admit you will need additional vitamins.  Mothers needed them then, mothers will need them now.  DO NOT use this unless you get the vitamins.  

Babies 10 months and older can begin to transition from formula to whole milk.  

DO NOT use fat free or lowfat milk for this.  Babies need the fat in whole milk.

Now look, I'm not a doctor.  I don't claim to be one.  I am a mother, and while my kids are older now, they have at times, used this recipe when they were babies.  I can say with conviction, I would give this before I let my child be hungry.  

Hope this helps.

I can tell you the price for Evaporated Whole milk at Walmart is .67 when in stock.  The price at Kroger is $1.

No comments:

Post a Comment