Followers

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

This is what I'm talking about! Shopping in lieu of gardening

 Good morning everyone!  



First of all I have to share that today I had an actual cup of coffee!  It might have had more sugar in it than normal, but it was coffee.  Since having "The Rona", I havent been able to taste and smell.  It's gradually coming back.  I started my morning opening the coffee grounds to make coffee and holding it up to my nose to see if I can smell it.  My logic is if I can smell it I can drink it.  I could smell it!!!!!!  It wasn't as strong as it normally would be.  I have always loved the smell of coffee even when I didn't drink it.  Anyhoo it was worth a try.  Try I did and got to drink coffee!  It really is the little things.  

Anyway, I love to drink my coffee in the morning and check out the grocery adds.  I did that today as Kroger (may be Ralphs or Fred Meyer where you are) had a preview for their sale that starts tomorrow.  Here are some of the deals:

Boneless pork half loin- $1.88 lb.  Not the cheapest I've ever paid, but in the ball park of a decent sale.  

Whole Frozen Turkey!-  .47 lb with a $25 order.  I will have a $25 order

10 lb bag of Kroger Russet Potatoes-  $1.97 a bag with a digital coupon.  Plus you can use the coupon 5 times.

2 Lb. pkg. of Kroger Cheese-  3.97 each with digital coupon that can be used 5 times in a single transaction.  

This is what I was talking about in my past post " Can't Garden, but Can You Shop?".  

We live on .78 acres.  We raise chickens, not turkeys or pigs.  So pork loin and turkeys at a good price are important to me.  I don't have the garden space to grow enough potatoes so I've been hoping there would be a good sale I could stock up on.  I've gotten some decent prices on potatoes lately and was getting those; storing them well or canning them up.  Tomorrow's sale is an AWESOME sale at .20 ish cents a lb.  I'm currently canning up the ones I have stored in order to make the  most of the 5 times coupon at Kroger.  So, yes I'm about to buy 50lbs. of potatoes.  Stored in a cool dry dark place, and OUT of the bag they come in, potatoes can last a little while if bought in season(which is now).  I will take them out of the bag and lay them out on a rack or towel for a few days to let them kinda "re-cure" and/ or dry before I store them.  If you can't store that many for that long, go ahead and cook up some and freeze them!  You can!  

The Turkey is going to be roasted, then canned.  The bones will be made into bone broth which will also be canned up.  The scraps from that go to the dogs who love me for it.  Not to worry, though.  The bones are soft and mushy before I give it to them.  

The pork loin this go around will more than likely be canned as I am really on a canning jag to save freezer space.  

The cheese will go in the freezer.  

I have to say I was a little nervous that I wouldn't find the deals this year.  While few in number, I have managed to get some good buys.  The over riding plan is to find items on sale, and make the most of them in order to get thru til the next sale/deal.  Kroger is not the only store I will be looking at.  Last week I bought 2 Butterball turkeys on sale at Aldi for .87 lb.  Limit of 2.  One of these is in my freezer.  The other has been cooked, canned, broth made, etc.  

Now is the time to look for basics at the store; Usually flour, sugar, evaporated or sweetened condensed milk, chocolate, spices, possibly canned vegetables, butter, broth (beef and chicken), celery, potatoes (sweet and white; although haven't seen sweet on sale yet).  

I am finding some decent sales.  Get creative to be able to make the most of what you can put aside.  These things help when it comes to offsetting price increases now and later.  





No comments:

Post a Comment