Followers

Sunday, March 7, 2021

Cast Iron Pans...at least the 8th or 9th wonder of the world surely!

 I don't care whose pans you buy; Pioneer woman, Pampered chef, etc.  There are no pans with the cooking power, nonstick ability, and durability of cast iron.  I am sold, sold, sold.  Seasoned and cared for correctly, cast iron pans will last forever, or close to it.  

1.  Cooking in cast iron can help keep you from being anemic!  Small particles of iron from your pans, enrich your food and thus your blood stream!

2.  As stated before, Cast iron will last forever!  My mother gifted me some cast iron skillets that belonged to great aunts, and a great grandmother.  The pan that was my great grandmothers dates back to the late 1800's!  I would like to see something bought these days last so long.  Well cast iron could,  just don't get the enameled stuff.  It defeats the whole purpose!  Plus enamel doesn't hold up as well.  

3.  Once seasoned correctly, cast iron is seriously non stick.  I have recently learned how to properly season a cast Iron pan, and my love affair has gone to a whole new level!  I cooked eggs in a seasoned cast iron pan the other day and, when finished, wiped it out with a paper towel and hung it on the wall!  I kid you not, I think I was giggling.  HA!  

4.  Cast Iron makes the best corn bread!  and brownies, and fried chicken, and whatever!  I baked brownies in there the other day and mixed everything up in the pan and baked it all in one pan!

5.  You can go from cooking on the stove to baking in the oven without changing pans!


While I have 2 new cast iron pots, a grill, and a 2 quart sauce pan, I really love the vintage stuff.  The vintage pans are lighter than what's made these days, and it has a story.  How cool is it to cook in the same pan as my great grandmother.  Someone I was never able to meet!  It doesn't have to be my story though.  I have other pans that date anywhere from 1900-1940; 1940- 1960, and 1960 and up.  Those pans belonged to someone, who used them to feed and care for their family.  I'll never meet them this side of heaven, but I think of them as I use these pans.  My story regarding these pans is one of restoration.  I like being able to take off the old rust and seasoning, then add new seasoning making it like new.  I found this pot at an antique store last week.  Here is the before and after:



This pot is an unmarked Birmingham Stove and Range pot dating around 1940's-60's.  The company went out of business in the 1980's.  It has been stripped and seasoned and is now at use in my kitchen.

I would love to take credit for knowing how to do this cause I'm really smart, and just know things, but I can't take credit for my knowledge.  I learned by watching this video.  I'm sharing it with you so you too will know what to do with your cast iron, or cast iron you find at yard sales, thrift stores, etc.  

Oh!  I will share this I have discovered.  When you want to do your last seasoning of the pan (I do three), Fry a pound of bacon in it.  Remove the bacon.  Pour off the bacon fat (into a jar, cause it's great for cornbread).  Pour a couple of cups of water into your hot pan and, using a spatula, loosen any bits that remain.  Pour off this water and dry your pan with paper towels or a towel.  Put it in the oven upside down at 375 for 2 hours.  Once your seasoning is finished, you can just wipe it out and store it, or if you have to wash it, do it with WATER ONLY , dry it and finish drying on the stove top just til dry.  


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment